Apple just announced the iPhone 12 lineup! It consists of the standard 6.1-inch iPhone 12, a new 5.4-inch iPhone 12 mini, and the two iPhone 12 Pro models. I’m here to give you what’s new with these iPhones!
Let’s Start With The Common Stuff
A good thing with all the new iPhones is that they all have Super Retina XDR Displays! They are protected by a new Ceramic Shield that Apple claims to have 4x better drop protection. All iPhone 12 models have the same IP68 water resistance that can withstand up to 6 meters of water in 30 minutes!
These iPhones also get the latest A14 Bionic chip that powers A LOT of the new features. It’s INSANE how much tech they were able to squeeze in this new chip thanks to the new 5nm chip process. Apple was able to fit 11.8 BILLION TRANSISTORS inside the A14! ? These new iPhones also have the same 12MP TrueDepth front camera which can now do both Night Mode and Deep Fusion!
The Return of the MagSafe Brand!
The new iPhone 12 models now have a better way to do wireless charging: MagSafe! They can now charge wirelessly with up to 15W of power. The method in how iApple will put out MagSafe accessories that will launch alongside the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro on October 16.
5G Just Got Real. (Yes, This Was A Legit Line)
Another headline feature coming to the iPhone 12 lineup is 5G. Yes, Apple made a big deal about it to the point that they had Verizon’s CEO in the keynote! Unlike some phone brands, all the iPhone 12 models get both sub6 and mmWave 5G!
Goodbye, Power Brick. So Long, EarPods.
Apple is doubling down on the environment with its commitment to have net zero climate impact throughout its entire business. With that in mind, the company will remove power adapters and EarPods from iPhone packaging. I honestly don’t mind this move but first-time iPhone buyers will be disappointed by this.
Now that I got the common stuff out of the way, let’s dive down into each phone!
iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Mini
The standard iPhone 12 may seem like it’s the least exciting phone in the lineup. It still carries the same display size as the iPhone 11 (6.1-inches). That’s where the similarities end though because everything else is new! We even have a new iPhone 12 mini with a smaller 5.4-inch display!
Here are the new stuff specific to the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini:
- 5.4-inch Super Retina XDR Display with 2340 x 1080 resolution (iPhone 12 mini)
- 6.1-inch Super Retina XDR Display with 2532 x 1170 resolution (iPhone 12)
- Aluminum design and glass back
- Dual rear cameras: 12MP wide camera with f/1.6 aperture & a seven-element lens and 12MP ultrawide camera with f/2.4 aperture and 120º field of view
- HDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 30 fps ON ALL CAMERAS
- ALL CAMERAS can use Night Mode and Deep Fusion!
- Comes in 64GB, 128GB, and 256GB internal storage
Both iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini come in 5 colors: Black, White, (PRODUCT)RED, Green, and Blue. In the US, they start at $699 and $799 respectively for the 64GB option. However, that only applies to those who get the new iPhones from AT&T and Verizon. If you’re getting from other carriers or an unlocked model, there’s an additional $30. (That makes it $729 / $829.)
The iPhone 12 pre-orders are up on October 16 and will be available on October 23. Meanwhile, the iPhone 12 mini pre-orders are up on November 6 and will be available on November 13. (Dates apply to the US and 30+ countries. No word on when the Philippines gets these.)
I personally prefer that iPhone 12 mini due to its smaller footprint. Despite that, I still want to hold the new phones just to be sure.
iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
With the Pro models of the iPhone 12 lineup, you basically have the best camera experience that Apple has to offer. These phones have bigger screens, stainless steel design, and a textured matte glass back. They come in four colors: Silver, Gold, Graphite, and Pacific Blue. (Seriously, that blue really looks good!) Besides that, we have a triple rear camera system affair. For the first time in a while though, the iPhone 12 Pro Max gets bigger upgrades than its little brother.
Here are the new stuff specific to the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max:
- 6.1-inch Super Retina XDR Display with 2532 x 1170 resolution (12 Pro)
- 6.7-inch Super Retina XDR Display with 2778 x 1284 resolution (12 Pro Max)
- Triple rear cameras (all 12MP)
- Wide camera with f/1.6 aperture, a seven-element lens, and OIS; a 40% bigger sensor and sensor-shift OIS (12 Pro Max)
- Ultrawide camera with f/2.4 aperture and 120º field of view
- Telephoto camera with OIS
- f/2.0 aperture, 52mm focal length, and 2x optical zoom (12 Pro)
- f/2.2 aperture, 65mm focal length, and 2.5x optical zoom (12 Pro Max)
- HDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 60 fps ON ALL CAMERAS
- The front camera and Wide & Ultrawide rear cameras can use Night Mode
- ALL CAMERAS can use Deep Fusion
- Comes in 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB internal storage
The iPhone 12 Pro starts at $999 while the iPhone 12 Pro Max starts at $1099. Pre-orders for the 12 Pro are up on October 16 and will be available on October 23. Meanwhile, the iPhone 12 Pro Max pre-orders are up on November 6 and will be available on November 13. (Dates apply to the US and 30+ countries. No word on when the Philippines gets these.)
How Does This Impact the iPhone Lineup?
Good question! Although the iPhone SE 2020 stays for $399, both the iPhone XR and iPhone 11 get $100 discounts! (iPhone XR at $499 and iPhone 11 at $599)
What do you think of the iPhone 12 lineup? Do they seem lacking to you? Or are they far more compelling than you thought they would be? Sound off in the comments!